Masonry structures and historical heritage
On site assessment:
- Cultural Heritage protection from seismic and hydrogeological risk;
- Seismic vulnerability of complex historic structures: monuments, aggregate buildings and historic centers;
- Evaluation of the masonry structural quality and experimental methods for the masonry characterization of historic buildings in seismic area;
- Diagnostic investigation with Non Destructive Techniques (NDT) of structural elements for the seismic vulnerability analysis of the historic centers;
- Structural monitoring and strengthening of historic buildings;
- Damage survey of historic buildings in emergency after natural events (collaboration with the Department of Civil Protection).
In laboratory assessment:
- Experimental research on durability of Composite materials (FRP and TRM) for historic masonry strengthening (on single units, small assemblages and on full-scale masonry models);
- Experimental research on grout injections applied on masonry;
- Evaluation of compatibility and efficiency of various interventions on masonry specimens.
- 2014-15 Progetto esecutivo DPC-RELUIS, Linea 1 “ Costruzioni in Muratura”, (Resp. G. Cardani , Budget 18 k€).
- 2010-2013 Progetto esecutivo DPC-RELUIS, Linea 1 “Murature storiche”, (Resp. G. Cardani, Budget 51 k€)
- 2010-2012 Progetto Europeo FP7 “New Integrated Knowledge based approaches to the protection of cultural heritage from earthquake-induced risk- NIKER”, project number 244123. (Resp. L. Binda and A. Saisi, Budget 204 k€).
- 2010 Contratto di ricerca stipulato con la Curia dell’Aquila per l’esecuzione del programma di ricerca “Prove diagnostiche sulle strutture della chiesa di san Biagio a L’Aquila”. (Resp. P. Condoleo e C. Tedeschi, Budget 50 k€)
Selected recent publications & products
- L. Binda, G. Cardani, 2015, Seismic vulnerability of historic centers: a methodology to study the vulnerability assessment of masonry building typologies in seismic area, in Handbook of Research on Seismic Assessment and Rehabilitation of Historic Structures (edited by P.G. Asteris and V. Plevris), IGI global, Hershey, PA, USA , Chapter 1 pp. 1-29.
- G. Cardani, L. Binda, 2015, Guidelines for the evaluation of the load-bearing masonry quality in Built Heritage, in Built Heritage: Monitoring Conservation Management, (by L. Toniolo, M. Boriani, G. Guidi), Springer, Switzerland, pp. 12-140.
- M. Panizza, P. Girardello, E. Garbin, M. R. Valluzzi, G. Cardani, M. Dalla Benetta, P. Casadei, 2014, On-site pull-out tests of steel anchor spikes applied to brickwork masonry, in Mechanics of Masonry Structures Strengthened with Composite Materials (by A. Di Tommaso, C. Gentilini and G. Castellazzi), Key Engineering Materials, Trans Tech Pubblication, Vol. 624, pp. 266-274.
- P. Condoleo, C. Tedeschi, L. Binda, L. Cantini, F. Casarin, S. Munda, C. Tiraboschi, C. Modena, F. Lorenzoni, 2011, Il complesso architettonico di San Biagio nel centro storico dell’Aquila: indagini diagnostiche e prove dinamiche sulle strutture portanti colpite dal sisma del 6 Aprile 2009, Giornale Recuperare & Condividere, Tau Editrice, Litograftodi srl (PG), pp. 51-79.
- M. Munari, M.R. Valluzzi, G. Cardani, A. Anzani, L. Binda,·C. Modena, 2010, Seismic vulnerability analyses of masonry aggregate buildings in the historical centre of Sulmona (Italy), 13th International Conference SFR 2010, Edinburgh, UK.
- M. Corradi, C. Tedeschi, L. Binda, A. Borri, 2008, Experimental evaluation of shear and compression strength of masonry wall before and after reinforcement: deep re-pointing, in Construction Building Material, Vol. 4, n. 4, pp. 463-472.
- C. Tedeschi, A. Kwiecien, M.R. Valluzzi, B. Zajac, E. Garbin, L. Binda, 2014, Effect of thermal ageing and salt decay on bond Between FRP and masonry, in Materials and Structures, RILEM 2014.