- Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Analyses
- Earthquake ground shaking scenarios
- Seismic actions for design
- High performance computing of seismic wave propagation
- 2009-2011: “Italian Strong Motion Database”. Coordination of Project S4 DPC-INGV (Resp: R. Paolucci; Budget: 60 k€).
- 2011-2013: “Displacement-based approaches for vulnerability assessment. Line 1: Seismic input”. Funded by DPC-Reluis (Resp: R. Paolucci; Budget: 90 k€).
- 2012-2013: “High-performance computing tools to produce physics-based earthquake ground shaking scenarios in large urban areas”, funded by MunichRe, Germany. In cooperation with MOX, Politecnico (Resp: R. Paolucci; Budget: 150 k€).
- 2012-2014: “SIGMA - Reducing uncertainties in the probabilistic seismic hazard analysis for critical facilities”. Funded by ENEL , Electricité de France, Comité pour l’Energie Atomique, AREVA (Resp: R. Paolucci; Budget: 90 k€).
- Since 2014: “Numerical simulations and near-source effects”. Coordination of Project RS2 DPC-Reluis (Resp: R. Paolucci; Budget: 70 k€).
Selected recent publications & products
- Italian Strong Motion Database (http://itaca.mi.ingv.it)
- SPEED (Spectral Elements in Elastodynamics) (http://mox.polimi.it/it/progetti/speed)
- Smerzini C., C. Galasso, I. Iervolino, and R. Paolucci (2014). Ground motion record selection based on broadband spectral compatibility, Earthquake Spectra, 30, 1427–1448.
- Paolucci R., Mazzieri I., Smerzini C., and Stupazzini M. (2014). Physics-Based Earthquake Ground Shaking Scenarios in Large Urban Areas. In A. Ansal (ed.), Perspectives on European Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Geotechnical, Geological and Earthquake Engineering 34, Chapter 10, 331-359.
- Faccioli E., R. Paolucci and M. Vanini (2015). Evaluation of probabilistic site-specific seismic hazard methods and associated uncertainties, with applications in the Po Plain, Northern Italy. Submitted for publication to the Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America.
- Paolucci, R., Mazzieri I. and C. Smerzini (2015). Anatomy of strong ground motion: near-source records and 3D physics-based numerical simulations of the Mw 6.0 May 29 2012 Po Plain earthquake, Italy. Submitted for publication to Geophysical Journal International.