The public transportation network in Milan is managed by ATM.
Travelling by public transport in Milan requires either a ticket or a season pass. In order to purchase the season pass, you need the Italian fiscal code.
One urban ticket (valid for one metro trip or for 90 minutes when travelling by surface means of transportation) costs 1.50€. You can use it to travel within the city, on all ATM means of transport (bus, tram, subway) and on the city subway ‘Passante Ferroviario’ (just one trip).
Other choices are the daily ticket (4.50€), 24 hour-cap from the validation, and the two-days ticket (8.25€), 48 hour-cap from the validation (both for unlimited travel).
More tickets available:
- 10 travels ticket (13.80€), valid for 10 travels
- BI4 ticket pass (6.00€), valid for 4 travels; at night (from 20.00 to the end of the service) and on Sundays (until 13.00), it can be used for unlimited travel (only on the ATM transport network)
- Weekly pass 2x6 (10.00€), 2 travels/day for 6 days in the same week (NB: the pass is valid also on Sunday, if it wasn’t used for an entire day during the week)
- Night ticket (3.00€), valid from 20.00 to the end of the service, unlimited travel (only on the ATM transport network)
- Long-distance ticket to RHO-FIERA, (2.50€/1 fare, or 7.00€/daily ticket, unlimited travel)
Tickets can be bought at local newsagents (usually one in every subway station), ATM point offices, ticket vending machines, or using the official ATM APP.
Season tickets allow you to travel on the ATM transport network, included on the city subway ‘Passante Ferroviario’, at special prices. You can buy them at the ATM Point offices, authorized newsagents, or online on the ATM website.
Season tickets are charged on a plastic travel card which is valid for 4 years and costs 10.00€.
*At the ATM Point office you are given your new travel card immediately; if you buy the card online or at the local newsagent, it will be ready in about 15-20 days.
Where to find an ATM Point office:
• Duomo M1-M3, from Monday to Saturday, from 7.45 to 20.00; on Sunday from 10.15 to 13.15, and from 14.00 to 17.30
• Centrale M2-M3, from Monday to Saturday, from 7.45 to 20.00; on Sunday from 10.15 to 13.15, and from 14.00 to 17.30
• Cadorna M1-M2, from Monday to Saturday, from 7.45 to 20.00; on Sunday from 10.15 to 13.15, and from 14.00 to 17.30
• Garibaldi M2-M5, from Monday to Saturday, from 7.45 to 20.00
• Loreto M1-M2, from Monday to Saturday, from 7.45 to 20.00
• Romolo M2, from Monday to Saturday, from 7.45 to 20.00
ORDINARY SEASON PASS
WEEKLY : valid from Monday to Sunday (unlimited travel), 11.30 €
MONTHLY : valid for one calendar month (unlimited travel), 35.00 €
YEARLY : valid for 12 calendar months (unlimited travel), 330.00 €
YOUNG PEOPLE SEASON PASS - UNDER 26
All young people (under 26 years old) have right to discounted prices.
MONTHLY : 22.00 €
YEARLY : 200.00 €
Students, up to 26 years old and whose income is lower than a fixed amount (established every year and stated on the ATM website), can apply for the STUDENT PASS. This pass has to be renewed every year and entitles to reduced tickets (Monthly pass: 22.00€; Yearly pass: 220.00€).
MULTIPLE SEASON PASS
To move around Milan and in the suburbs, you need the MULTIPLE SEASON PASS (combining both the short- and the long-distance pass). The price is different according to the area of travel.
Small area (16.50 €)
Medium area (21.00 €)
Big area (25.50 €)
Plus 1 area (27.00 €)
Small area (55.00 €)
Medium area (79.00 €)
Big area (87.00 €)
Plus 1 area (93.00 €)
* ATM website to apply online for the season pass:
* Students’ season pass – information brochure:
* Explanation of long-distance areas outside Milan:
TRAVELLING BY BIKE
You can hire a bike (normal or electric) using the BikeMI service.
Take your bike in one of the many stations in Milan (using your password and personal code, or the travel card, only for yearly passes), pedal around the city and then leave it in the closest parking slot.
a) Enrollment: buy your card online, on the dedicated APP, at the ATM Point offices, calling the customer service, or at the authorized newsagents (for the yearly pass). You can only pay by credit card.
b) Fee: daily pass (4.50€); weekly pass (9.00€); yearly pass (36.00€); time rate (2.00€/hour – traditional bike; or 4.00€/hour – electric bike)
c) General rules
- you can use the bike for max. 2 hours
- you pay a fine in case you don’t take the bike back to a parking slot within 24 hours
- you can’t hire again the bike, unless more than 5 minutes have passed from the last time you used it
- bikes must not be left unattended in the street
* MALPENSA AIRPORT
Malpensa Express to the following railway stations: Milano-Cadorna, Milano-Centrale and Milano-Porta Garibaldi (ticket: 12.00€ - round ticket: 18.00€; you can buy it at Cadorna station, at the Airport, at the ticket vending machines in the Central Station, in Trenord and Trenitalia ticket offices)
* LINATE AIRPORT
City bus line 73 (Duomo M1-M3 – Linate), every 10 minutes/every day; ticket: 1.50€
AIRBUS (Central station – Linate), every 30 minutes/every day; ticket: 5.00€ (9.00€/round ticket)
* ORIO AL SERIO AIRPORT
Coach travel, every 30 minutes/every day; ticket: 5.00€ (9.00€/round ticket)
Orio Shuttle, every 30 minutes/every day; ticket: 4.00€
* MALPENSA EXPRESS: www.malpensaexpress.it
*AIRBUS LINATE-CENTRAL STATION: http://www.atm.it/it/AltriServizi/Trasporto/Pagine/airbus.aspx; http://www.milano-aeroporti.it/linate-shuttle/index.html
*BUS ORIO AL SERIO: http://www.orioaeroporto.it/it/autobus/
Last update: September, 2017